We are privileged to live in an area abundant in locally grown foods. The easiest way to support these local farmers is to shop at any of our many area farmers’ markets. Farmers’ markets are not exclusive to food, they also provide handmade crafts and family activities, depending on your location. Visiting a local market is a great way to support your community and spend time with your family (and get a little grocery shopping done while you’re at it!). Here is a list of some of our local farmers’ markets:
- Fayette County Farmers’ Market- This market is open Tuesday and Friday mornings in the parking lot across the street from the Methodist church in Somerville. They offer organic foods, crafts and locally grown produce.
- The Agricenter’s Farmers’ Market- This market is the only one in the area open six days a week, May-October. It’s probably also the largest.
- Arlington Open Air Market- This market is open on Fridays and Saturdays all day at 12015 Walker Street in Arlington.
- Bolivar’s Farmers’ Market- This market is located at the corner or Lafayette and Washington and is open from 7am until sell-out on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
- Selmer Farmers’ Market- This market is available everyday for any farmers that would like to come. Located at 100 Front Street near the park.
Let’s try to get out this weekend and support our local farmers!