I hope that you are all staying cool in this heat! Triple digit temps must mean that the 4th is right around the corner! The 4th is a great holiday to reflect on the huge blessing it is to live in a country like ours. May we never forget that! It’s also a great time to take some time off with you family and get out of town. We are usually on vacation the week of the 4th, but I wanted to get a list together of some local events that you can take advantage of. If your town is offering a fireworks display or any other public event, please let me know so I can add them to our list. Here ya go!
– Oakland- fireworks tomorrow night at West Junior High
– Memphis area- click here for a post from the I Love Memphis blog that includes all the Memphis area 4th activities (including Collierville)
Please be mindful of your town’s laws on noise and fireworks while enjoying the holiday. Have a wonderful and safe 4th of July!
We are privileged to live in an area abundant in locally grown foods. The easiest way to support these local farmers is to shop at any of our many area farmers’ markets. Farmers’ markets are not exclusive to food, they also provide handmade crafts and family activities, depending on your location. Visiting a local market is a great way to support your community and spend time with your family (and get a little grocery shopping done while you’re at it!). Here is a list of some of our local farmers’ markets:
- Fayette County Farmers’ Market- This market is open Tuesday and Friday mornings in the parking lot across the street from the Methodist church in Somerville. They offer organic foods, crafts and locally grown produce.
- The Agricenter’s Farmers’ Market- This market is the only one in the area open six days a week, May-October. It’s probably also the largest.
- Arlington Open Air Market- This market is open on Fridays and Saturdays all day at 12015 Walker Street in Arlington.
- Bolivar’s Farmers’ Market- This market is located at the corner or Lafayette and Washington and is open from 7am until sell-out on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
- Selmer Farmers’ Market- This market is available everyday for any farmers that would like to come. Located at 100 Front Street near the park.
Let’s try to get out this weekend and support our local farmers!
Going to the library is one of our favorite things to do. Libraries are free and they cater to any age. We are privileged to have many local libraries that offer numerous services for free. Most libraries have summer reading programs, book clubs and story-times for children, as well as activities for adults. My kids love to hear a very animated librarian read them a story. Their love of books is contagious! Libraries aren’t just for books, they also have magazines, movies, audiobooks and many other types of media available for check out. Most libraries also have several e-books available to “check out” on your e-reader (Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc.). Here is a list of some of the libraries close by:
- Fayette County Library, 216 W. Market Street, Somerville
- Jack McConnico Memorial Library, 225 Oakgrove Road, Selmer
- Bolivar-Hardeman County Library, 213 N. Washington Street, Bolivar
- Lucius and Elsie Burch Library, 501 Poplar View Parkway, Collierville
- Benjamin L Hooks Central Library, 3030 Poplar Avenue, Memphis
*If you have never been to the Benjamin Hooks Central Library, you are missing a treat! Their children’s section is a child’s dream!
We thought it would be helpful to compile a list of local VBS programs to post here on the blog. If you would like to add your church, please leave a comment below with the details.
- LaGrange Methodist- June 25-29 from 9am-12pm
- Hickory Grove Baptist Church- July 9-13 from 6:30pm-8:00pm
- Morris Memorial Baptist Church- June 11-15 from 5:30pm-8:30pm
- Somerville First Presbyterian Church- June 24-27 from 5:30-8:00pm
- Somerville First Methodist Church- June 18-22 from 9:00am-12:00pm
- Bethlehem Baptist Church (Whiteville, TN)- June 18-22
- Warren Community Church- June 25-29 from 9am-12pm
- First Baptist Church Collierville- June 18-22 from 8:30am-11:30am
- Piperton Baptist Church- July 16-20